Text disabled

Friday, October 14, 2016

Expanding Body Thief

Body Thief began as a simple proof of concept. I actually had a version, some time ago, that was confined to a single room whose description would gradually shift after you swapped bodies with DeeDee. It had no bells or whistles whatsoever, no conversation, no inventory, and no ending.

This version has been greatly expanded upon that general concept, but it is still at heart a proof-of-concept game. I'd like to expand it beyond those original borders, but I'm not yet sure how.

A swap other than Jake/DeeDee. If you had a person to swap with other than DeeDee (or Jake as FTM) then you'd be experiencing the same map through different eyes. However, the existing map is pretty boring stuff unless you like the intelligence shift.

A swap after Jake/DeeDee. This would involve creating additional map locations and plot points so you'd have things to do in your new body. Tracking down the person who stole your body would be the most obvious plot to follow.

Watching other people struggle with being swapped. This could end up as a large expansion, given how many potential combinations there are with even a handful of characters. Inevitably some of the combinations would be pretty dull.

More things to do as Jake/DeeDee. This seems the best route for expansion: more scope without adding too much additional length or complexity.

Let me know your thoughts on this in the comments.

3 comments:

  1. Smee, again. The website ate my comment! Here comes attempt #2.

    I support options #2 (hunt down your body) and #4 (more things to do). You have several unused (and under-used) locations which could be adjusted somewhat to meet your needs.

    Also, you already have a couple of NPCs which could be enhanced to provide additional entertainment without having to do too much wheel-inventing. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could go a couple of ways with additional NPCs. When you are first swapped, you're in the far NE corner of the map. I could make that be the center of new content where you are swapped into that body, so no matter which way you go, you run into somebody interesting. Or, and this was the original intention, I could sprinkle such people along the route back to the club, to divert and distract the player if he can't stay on the right path (too drunk, too slow, got lost, started an unnecessary conversation).

      Delete
  2. All of your above ideas seem to attract me. I have played multiple times of your current version 9 and it is my favorite game on tfgamessite. Most of the games only provide MTF paths while you also provide FTM path of play through, differ from most of the body swap games which is an attractive extension to me. Although it seems to have stopped developing for about two years, I still wish to see it and your other body-swap mechanic (one called “Something borrowed” I suppose) can be developed and updated. Thanks for your great game!

    ReplyDelete